Monday, June 11, 2012

Post Three: "A Vision of K-12 Students Today" (My Thoughts & Surprising Stats)

    I found this video very informative and interesting. One of the first statements I saw that stuck in my mind was, "Students need to learn "how" to study." I totally agree with this statement. This seems to be one of the hardest things to teach and one of the hardest things for students to learn how to do. If the student is able to study in a way that is beneficial to them, it makes all the difference in the world.
    It also stated that, "Students love technology." and this could not be more true. Students these days enjoy learning so much more when technology is involved. Technology makes learning fun for students. "8-18 year-olds spend 10 hours per day with entertainment media." This statement demonstrates just how much students enjoy technology. If we, as educators and future educators, can find the way to submerge the the two together, learning and technology, students would enjoy filling their brain with new information.
    I also thought that the stats of test scores that were shown throughout this video were very surprising. You would think that the U.S. would have higher test scores than some other countries. Those stats were very surprising to me. That just goes to show that something needs to change. The graduation rate in the U.S. did not really surprise me. I actually thought it would be lower than what the video stated. I'm not saying that it's a good thing, but it's not surprising. We should find a way to change that percentage of graduates though and I think involving technology more would help. Engaging students in the use of technology to help the learning process and teaching students how to use technology correctly is something that should be pushed more in schools today.

No comments:

Post a Comment